Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Time is different in my head

According to my inner dialog, it has only been a day since I last posted. Sadly, that is not the case. I'm presently in the midst of fine-tuning some of my time allocations so I can get more of what I want done. Plus, there were some sick kids this last week that made it necessary to have some recent study on auditory hallucinations in deaf people. It combines so many of my favorite things... Deafness, provocative social study, mental illness and implications for philosophical worldviews. Of course, the deaf people were British, so that is going to throw the data =)

In other news, Arabic has stepped up a notch. I've been able to have private lessons recently. This has enabled me to focus on the written form. I must say, Arabic is really growing on me. I find it has the pleasing lilt of Italian, with the grammatical elegance and complexity of German. Plus, I think the writing looks like Vulcan.

1 comment:

  1. The idea of auditory hallucinations in deaf people seems a bit less mysterious when you accept that perception (auditory, visual, gustatory, tactile, whichever kind) is something for which we have mostly the brain to thank. We learn from childhood that ears let us hear, but their role in hearing, while essential, is minor compared to the the brain's. And what is hallucination, really, other than perception without sensation?

    But pray tell, how do you stumble upon this stuff?

    ReplyDelete